Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Hospital Visit

Sunday, I went with Jess to the hospital for a tour of the maternity ward. I don't know what the birthing process used to be like, but this place looked like a five star hotel! I am definitely having my children at Presbyterian. We start by walking into the lobby where we are surrounded by protruding bellies and anxious husbands. Do I feel a bit out of place? Yes.

We, as in all 16 of us, cram into an elevator. Talk about claustrophobia. We get to see the desk she will check in at, the hallway leading to the Cesarean room (which was acknowledged with a "I am NOT having that" by Jess) and the birthing "suite". Yes, it is called a suite, and rightly so. This room has wifi (so expect blog entries and Facebook updates..yay), surround sound, c
d player, mp3 hookup, a flat screen TV with a DVD player, personal thermostat, and a whirlpool bathtub with jets. This baby is coming out into some high quality accommodations! Oh, and just after she arrives, her presence will be announced with the first stanza of a lullaby played throughout the hospital. Oh, I forgot to mention the light dimmer in the room as well. I think I covered it all :)

Strangely the entire time we were there, I felt as though people were looking at us like we were a couple. It didn't help that the tour guide refered to all the non-pregnant people there as "husbands or birthing support team". "Support partner" was used a few times too, making it equally awkward. Clearly people, we aren't together. For one, we would kill each other. Two, I don't that the capability to knock someone up. Sorry. We got a good laugh from it though.

After the tour we went to Target for our baby shoopping/Starbucks fix. I wound up buying a Fetal Heart Monitoring System. I bought it saying "This is mine, you have to give it back when I have kids one day" but really I just wanted to be able to use it with Jess. At the rate I am going, I won't have kids til I am 50. But that's a whole other blog entry in itself.

We got the little monitor all hooked up and we could hear little Jeanie's heart beating! I've heard it before at Jess's doctor appointments, but it was different to lay there and listen for a long period of time. Everytime she moved or kicked we could hear that too. It was amazing. As I sat there I began to think how it seemed like just yesterday this baby was the size of a piece of rice. Now she kicks and hiccups and has eyelashes and fingernails! God is so amazing. I just am in constant awe of Him and His creations.

11 weeks to go and then I will finally get to meet this little bundle of joy! Oh how I am anxiously awaiting that day! It's going to be the most emotional day of my life thus far, I am quite sure of that!

No comments: