Saturday, January 9, 2010

I Could Fly

Today is the most dreaded day of the year...and it's only January 9th! I am leaving Guatemala and all my sweet babies today. My heart breaks when I leave this place. I get a sick feeling in my stomach. I really do leave a piece of me here and it's just not the same until I return. I love these kids like they are my own. I want to see them succeed, to be ambassadors of the Lord, to do well in school, and to grow up to be strong Christian adults. I feel a sense of protection over them and would do anything for any single one of them and I truly mean that with every ounce of who I am. I got to know a few more of the older boys, some my age, while I was here. What remarkable young men. Gringo boys-you have your work cut out for ya!

I told Karla yesterday that I am her new sponsor. Karla is 8 and such a joy to be around. A little fussy if she doesn't get her way, but that's to be expected I guess. She is a leader among the girls her age and I am so proud of her. When I told her she got the biggest grin on her face and gave me a huge hug. It's the best feeling in the world. Let the shopping begin! We had a sleepover last night in my room. Typical girl stuff-painted nails, did makeup and hair, listened to music, but what happened next is the very reason I love this place. Karla took out my hair dryer which provided an HOUR of entertainment. Her and Gustavo (he's 3 or 4) spent an hour putting the dryer on eachother, drying their shoes and putting them on to feel the warmth, up their shirts, pants, pretty much everywhere. It was hilarious. Such a simple thing was the highlight of the night. It made me think about my own life. What simple pleasures am I missing out on enjoying every day? It humbles me every single time.

I sit here and I am packed and ready to load up. I am avoiding going outside because I know when I do I will have to start fighting back the tears. I always promise not to cry because the kids see gringo people cry all the time. I don't want to be that way. The boys told me they will laugh at me and I will lose my cool status if I cry so I really can't have that! :)

At least I have some awesome new music on my computer to listen to on the way home! Roberto put a ton of new songs on here for me-even country which made my day. No one here likes country but he does..I have a new best friend. He also gave me a ton of new Christian bands I had never heard of. Download these if you like good music--Jump 5, RK, Mosquito Farm, Starfield, Sonic Flood, Eleventyseven, Stellar Kart, KJ52. Maybe I am just behind times and yall already know about these. If so, forgive my lack of taste in music!

No comments: