Monday, December 28, 2009

I Made It!

I am here! The action packers arrived in one piece and I made it through customs without much problem. Of course they asked a million questions about what was in the boxes and then wanted to take everything out and search it anyways. The poor girl picking me up was so worried about me because it took me so long to make it outside to find her. I am staying in an apartment with 2 other girls that live here at Casa. Celia is 25 and Joselin is 17. They have been the absolute BEST hostesses ever! They cleaned out a cabinet for my to put my things and put away all my groceries. So so so sweet.

I am staying in Estrellitas (little stars). The house is divided in half, with little boys on one side and little girls on the other with out apartment in the middle. If I was anywhere else, the sound of little boys screaming, running up and down stairs, singing and throwing things at 5 am would not help me start my day off in a good mood. But as they say, "It's Guatemala!" so I don't mind it. It actually makes me happy to hear their sweet spanish speaking voices before the sun is up :)

So funny story #1....I went with Patty to the grocery store since I will be cooking for myself for the next 2 weeks. Everything is pretty self explanatory-fruit, bread, lunchmeat, and pasta all the look the same no matter where you are. I got the the Dairy section and was trying to pick out which milk I wanted. I grabbed what I thought was 2%. When we got back I poured a glass and quickly realized this was not milk! What I bought was buttermilk! That should be good for the waistline.

Speaking of weight, the boys took it upon themselves to tell me that this summer when I was here I was "fat" but now I am not. I just laughed and told them "I am going to ignore the fact you thought I was fat this summer and just take it as a compliment." God bless them for their honesty!
My room for 2 weeks


Guatemala City



Mountains

1 comment:

Faith said...

I didn't know you would be blogging while you were gone...so great! Glad to hear you've arrived safely. Praying for God to do a big work while you are there!